FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Need Ideas for Asia in November
View Single Post
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:08 pm
Aventine
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ellyb102
Farbster we are going on a Viking Ocean Cruise.....we have never cruised with Viking before. We usually go on Crystal or Seabourn or Regent, but we liked this itinerary, and I have heard good things about this line. We will see!

Thank you for all your suggestions.

I have done some research especially seeing how easily we can use our frequent flyer points to return to the US. I was able to secure two first class award seats on JAL SFO to HND using 80,000 AA miles for each ticket. That will be a great way to start our trip!

I have a few questions. First, do I need to worry about typhoons at Amanpulo in November.....I have lived in South Florida for may years including being hit the the big one Andrew....I don't want to travel halfway around the world and deal with a typhoon! Otherwise, Amanpulo sounds idyllic, and is easily reached from Hong Kong.

Also, between Trisara and Amanpuri there are pros and cons for each. We have friends that go to Trisara every year and love it there. We have been to several Aman resorts including three in Bali and Amantaka in Luang Prabang. However, this was some time ago, and I know that the Aman Resorts have undergone some changes of ownership so I think each Aman should be judged on its own. What are the pros and cons of each?

As far as Cambodia, we were there about 10 years ago, but stayed at the Raffles which at that time needed major refurbishment. That was the last time I let a travel company select my hotels! Angor Wat was so crowded with tourists (February) that we could not wait to leave. It was on our bucket list, and we were so disappointed in the experience. I would love to return and stay at Amansara and go at dawn with a great guide to really see and experience this wonder. I don't know if I could convince my husband to return though!

Unfortunately, we will miss the water festivals in 2019 as get are later next year.

Thanks again for your advice.
I would definitely recommend other temples than the Wat. Many to see and a lot less crowded. The Wat only gets busier every month!

Astrid is still holding the old Aman standard up very well and Amansara is probably one of the top Amans.

Last edited by Aventine; Dec 6, 2018 at 1:03 am