FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions [2018]
Old Dec 5, 2018, 3:44 pm
nomad420

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Kleinnaf
@nomad420 probably flying on routes with a few GS members on them, still if you know how to check you should be able to clear them

@findark you are correct, although some only fly paid J for work and not personal
also gifting them to family/friends is probably one of the nicest things you can do at absolutely no cost to you IMHO.

i remember flying out of EWR (prior to being GS) and was seated next to a soldier in uniform, we stated chatting and he told me, while pre-boarding one of the other pax asked if he was traveling Y or J when he told him Y, the pax went over to the GA and asked that she upgraded him using a gpu*.
the soldier didn't know what was used to upgrade him, i later found this out by asking the sponsor.
It's really all about flexibility. I typically have limited to no flexibility even for personal travel and when I gift them I tell them to look for PZ space but often they have ether all ready purchased a ticket or can't/won't change the timing of their travel.
My wife travel basically "biz or better" for work as contracted and we are both 1K, as was noted she doesn't really need them and for personal travel with limited flexibility she has only minimally better success with them than me.
I have heard about "sponsoring" military but didn't know you could walk up to the GA and do it?? I am not sure this is technically allowed fwiw. Having said that I would like nothing better than to have the opportunity to do this.