FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Are there really any BIG downsides to basic economy (Saver) on short Q400 flights?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 1:57 pm
acarney

Originally Posted by VegasGambler

I'm actually surprised that AS will assign you a seat at T-24. They should really do it at the gate, once all the main fares have gotten the better seats.
Well that's another question that I had that doesn't seem to be answered here, yet. I'm not sure WHEN saver seats are assigned. If it's at the gate, then yes, on this route almost always I would be in the last few rows. At T-24 there are usually at least 10 seats or so across the first 8 rows or so that are still open. You're right that the front of the cabin does fill up more as main fares auto upgrade to elite seats on the Q400 or self change based on status but again, when everyone can check in there usually are about 10 seats or so open in the front rows and the back of the plane is pretty much packed. By the time departure happens though the front is filled and the back is either filled by standby or last minute bookings or goes out with a FEW (but not many) empty seats.

Thanks for the clarification on the SDC. That's certainly a non-issue for me on these flights. The change fee cost would be too great to be worth it on this route and there is almost always less then $50 difference between the cheapest flight that day and most expensive, unless it's short notice/holiday travel, and since my trips are almost always just "heading up to Seattle to hang out for the day" I would simply pick a different (cheaper) weekend.