FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2018 Elevate Your Status is Live
View Single Post
Old Dec 5, 2018, 2:18 am
wxman22

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by Gig103
You also happen to be starting in one of the most competitive markets in the USA, so J fares (for the comfort + the MQM bonus) are way more affordable than from much of the country. I regularly drive/fly to LAX on separate tickets to get better rates in business class (usually $1800+ cheaper to go LAX-EU than PHX-EU). And to really make my point, out of Knoxville, TN (where I just went for work and where I have friends), the cheapest Skyteam business class to Saigon is $4393 (many of the flights were over $6000 in my test search). Those 19,000 base miles -> 28,500 MQM or $0.154 each, which is more than the same as the rate I was offered ($1599 for 12,500 MQM = $0.128). Yes the flight gets you a trip to Saigon and more MQD, but on a purely buy-up comparison sake it isn't the worst deal in markets where DL doesn't have to compete as hard.
Yes, absolutely right,
In fact, I flew from JFK that day..
I was in NY and after i bought the LAX-SGN ticket, I then had to buy a ticket to from NY to LAX to arrive in time for my 12:30 p.m. departure on MU.
That cost me another $200.
But I was able to check my bag at JFK and it arrived in SGN right on time. Thanks Sky Team!

Also I'm really having to fly to SFO, SMF and NYC. I just connect thru LAX for the reasons stated above and luckily for now, the JFK-LAX and west coast routes are very competitive thanks to the Alaska Airline competition.
This only blows up in my face, when like last year I bought a one way SFO to LAX, TWICE, that I never used.

Lastly, off the topic, but DL's fares are considerably different overseas based on departing city and many times, it's contrary to common sense. For example, EWR or JFK to SGN via ICN priced at $1200 in coach (main cabin), but if departing from Scranton, it was $750 or thereabouts. And of course that Scranton plane dropped you in EWR to DTW on the same flight that prices out $500 more.
I discovered this worked exactly the same DTW-NRT-SGN versus AUS-DTW-NRT-SGN was $500 less.
Sadly for J fares this seems to work in the opposite ways,a s the smaller market is more expensive in J.

Last edited by wxman22; Dec 5, 2018 at 2:19 am Reason: addition