FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:22 pm
emcampbe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by essexnyc
Lesson learned on basic economy that is not disclosed at all by United - you cannot check in online and have to go to a kiosk plus have an agent manually check you in. To me, this almost totally defeats the purpose. I bought tickets for a day trip, knowing that we would have no luggage (or even a carry-on), but had to arrive early at the airport both ways, evidently so that the check-in agent could confirm that we had no carry-ons. The gate agent could have easily done (and did) the same screening and saved us 30 minutes each way. Not worthwhile for me until (or if) this is addressed.
UA charges an additional fee in addition to the checked bag fee for BE pax who bring a bag to the gate that needs to be checked (i.e. a full-size carry on). Presumably, the reason they ensure everyone who isn't checking a bag has to go to the check in desk is because for everyone like you, there are probably ten times or more as many who didn't bother to read the rules, then go to the gate with said bag that now costs double the cost to check. UA is protecting itself from a huge PR fiasco that would inevitably result of a media outlet printing this sob story, while leaving out the fact the customer was warned of this cost when booking, and chose to either not bother to read it or who did read it but forgot or purposely ignored it, as they just wanted to pay the lowest fare without regard to the rules of said fare.