Old Dec 4, 18, 8:04 am
Often1
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by wrp96 View Post
I see from the follow up AA is not to blame after all. Good.

But airlines can do a better job of 1) making sure the porters do their job and 2) the notifications get into the system.

I occasionally need to use the wheelchair service due to back issues. I had an experience earlier this year where I was met at my gate and taken to my next gate. Another assistance passenger also arrived. The porters left because it was quite early for the flight, Unfortunately there was a gate change and because it was so early there was no gate agent in that area. The original gate was in the low D gates at DFW that are not frequently used so there were no airline or airport personnel going past. Thankfully I had someone traveling with me who could walk to find assistance, otherwise there would’ve been two wheelchair passengers “abandoned” at that gate. I wouldn’t call it carelessness but rather circumstances that caused the issue.
On the contrary, this is a clearcut case of a shakedown.

If one called AA and stated that one wished to book a ticket for someone in the mother's condition as originally portrayed (before the walker, the smoking and so on)., AA would advise that it could not provide the service and that the individual would require an attendant to fly with her. This is no different than for a wide range of medical and mental health conditions.

A wheelchair is a means of transporting an individual from somewhere near the curbside to the aircraft (possibly to the seat). But, the service is not a caretaker service and it seems clear that by failing to properly advise AA and by inflating a story, presumably for some cash, this was a deliberate attempt by the family.

Perhaps AA could offer something akin to its UM service. But, it does not. I do not know of any carrier that does. But, until AA chooses to do so, the COC are quite clear about the passenger's condition.