FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Lifetime Elite Status General Discussion [Master Thread]
Old Dec 2, 2018, 6:42 am
TrojanHorse
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Thank you for reminding us that there are still people like you with so few nights. You do realize many of us on this board have far more nights, so it's odd to us that you would feel some sort of entitlement that those of us with more nights don't?

It's not about you being rewarded. This is a marketing program, not a rewards program, despite the name. If Marriott thinks giving lifetime perks to people with 600 nights over a minimum of ten years is the sweet spot where Marriott gets its best return on the investment in the perks, who are you to tell them to not do what maximizes profits on the investment and instead do something that will make you feel special? It's not about making you feel special, it's about maximizing profits. If you don't like it, stop giving Marriott business.
How can you say its not a rewards program?

You stay, you get points [rewards] – rewards are used to get something else – it’s a rewards programA rewards program is a marketing program true however it still is a you purchase from me and I reward you with this [points, status etc]The rewards program is also a loyalty program in hopes [in this case] you get enough rewards to stay with Marriott. The rewards program has defined benefits based on the number of purchases [nights/dollars etc] and within a certain bucket [status] you have defined benefits. Marriott has not published that customer A with 1200 nights gets more than customer B with 1300 nights. So Customer A has as much right to the expectation of those benefits as customer B within the same bucket. While this is not true at AA where it’s how much have you spent in the last 12 months to get a higher queue in the upgrade bucket; I have never read this in the MR program. This IS a rewards program AND loyalty program.