FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - the luxury hotels of Dubai
View Single Post
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:48 am
chinmoylad
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
I won't do a proper review on Dubai but:

BULGARI
- The location is a bit further out from Four Seasons on its own little island/peninsula.
- Similar to my experience at Bulgari Bali, lots of staff, all standing around not doing anything (talking among themselves mostly). Arrived at reception, about 10 people are there to open the door but not many smiles and apart from the person opening the door, no one greets you. Went to near the desk, no one to reach out to and assist you with your needs. Everyone' standing behind their desks. And the 10 people are still standing at the door (and again at departure, with barely a goodbye).
- Rooms/villas are nice enough, no real complaints here.
- All style, no substance (my opinion of course) with regards to the overall place. It lacks atmosphere - I've heard people mention it before with regards to the Amans, but I still think there's quite a huge contrast between the calm and peace of an Aman and the dead, dour stillness of the Bulgari Dubai. Apart from location etc, a large part of it is also to do with the staff. This is the second Bulgari I've now been to where staff look bored as hell.
- They charge (I think it was) AED 2,000/day for a use of a proper cabana at the beach. Even if you're staying in a suite/villa. Absolute rip off.

Photos:

FOUR SEASONS JUMEIRAH BEACH
- Great location making the best of both beach and skyline views
- It's a pretty big hotel - lots of long corridors (with no real windows/open lighting). Their hotel in town is a lot more boutique at 100 rooms.
- Only got to the see the one suite, which is very nicely done with wraparound corner views
- Pretty standard, good Four Seasons.

Photos:

There's a Mandarin Oriental opening up about 500 metres from where the Four Seasons is, looks very promising.

What I find curious is that many of the hotels in Dubai are resorts with beach etc. With most people spending 1-2 nights at a time in Dubai, on the way to the Maldives (or similar), surely the last thing people want is yet another beach? The rooms/suites with a view of the skyline at both resorts I found more appealing than a beach view.