FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Simon Mall Gift Cards(2017-2018)
View Single Post
Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:28 am
horseymen

Originally Posted by radonc1
So I am a bit confused.
I can understand how Amex can control the awarding bonus points based on a Hilton card spend since it is Amex that is giving the bonus but what I cannot understand is how Amex controls whether Hilton awards status for spend
Amex does control money distribution so it makes sense that they could say yea or nay to your spending categories to qualify for the bonus awards.

However, Hilton makes the determination as to whether $40K spend a year on a specific Hilton branded Amex card makes you an elite. Amex has nothing to do with that. All Amex does is report to Hilton that you spent "X" dollars a month using that Hilton card.

So I can't see how Amex would affect the awarding of status based on spend. Rather, it would be Hilton's responsibility to use the break-out of spending categories to make that determination. To date, the only break-out for my Hilton card has been for stays at a Hilton property.

Needless to say, Hilton has given me my points and status for my Amex Hilton spend without any deductions (at least for this year )
It's actually done on the AMEX side. AMEX will send to Hilton, Delta and the others if you've earned the status, and then Hilton, Delta and the other will bequeath that status. It's managed at the AMEX end. Keep using spend that is not disqualified for the bonuses, and you should be good.