FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Seating guide: Boeing 787 Dreamliner
View Single Post
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:09 am
BertieBadger

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by Mordac
I know economy is pretty dire on these birds, but if you're reasonably confident you can get the seat next to you blocked, is it doable for a short overnight (thinking of the YUL route specifically).
Late to this question, but I'd go somewhat against the grain here and say yes. I cut my BA teeth on this very route down the back of a 788, doing the trip several times a year. I quite often got an empty seat beside me, and I survived long enough to find FlyerTalk

To be fair, I would caveat my answer somewhat, and I'm taking a fairly broad interpretation of your concept of "doable". In my case:

- I'm about 5' 11", and somewhat "broader" (i.e, fatter!) than I should be. Legroom was tolerable but only just. People over 6ft would likely find it much less so
- As many people will point out, width is a key issue on these seats. I do tend to sit quite upright and with arms and shoulders in so I don't personally find that too onerous even when the seat next to me was occupied. Obviously when blocked it was fine.
- I would never describe myself as "bright-eyed" or well rested when disembarking, but equally I did this flight many times and wasn't reduced to a hunchbacked cripple.

Would I choose to fly it these days? It's not my first choice, I can generally find an acceptable T/E fare in the WTP cabin which is altogether more pleasant. But equally I would not go too far out of my way to avoid it if the flight timings and route were the best choices. (In fact, due to only W being left for WTP I do once again find myself down the back of a 788 for an upcoming flight to YYZ, I'm sure I will greet it like an old friend )

ETA: 38D/F are my seat recommendations if no exit rows available. Far enough back that seat blocking has a good chance of working, and the last row in the center 3 to have lockers above it.