FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Simon Mall Gift Cards(2017-2018)
View Single Post
Old Nov 29, 2018, 9:35 am
radonc1

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by horseymen
They've actually done a pretty good job - it will get base points for the most part - but it won't count toward diamond on Hilton, or Delta MQMs or whatever they're called, or bonus spend.
So I am a bit confused.
I can understand how Amex can control the awarding bonus points based on a Hilton card spend since it is Amex that is giving the bonus but what I cannot understand is how Amex controls whether Hilton awards status for spend
Amex does control money distribution so it makes sense that they could say yea or nay to your spending categories to qualify for the bonus awards.

However, Hilton makes the determination as to whether $40K spend a year on a specific Hilton branded Amex card makes you an elite. Amex has nothing to do with that. All Amex does is report to Hilton that you spent "X" dollars a month using that Hilton card.

So I can't see how Amex would affect the awarding of status based on spend. Rather, it would be Hilton's responsibility to use the break-out of spending categories to make that determination. To date, the only break-out for my Hilton card has been for stays at a Hilton property.

Needless to say, Hilton has given me my points and status for my Amex Hilton spend without any deductions (at least for this year )