FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Malindo safety as a Lion subsidiary....
View Single Post
Old Nov 29, 2018, 7:51 am
Paella747

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Smile

Originally Posted by Sam Bee
Perhaps a bit vague - Malindo have a good safety record so far - just one overshoot and no fatalities (I believe) so from that point of view you could say no worries, go ahead. But statistically that could be due to luck, or being relatively new. If they had operated the same number of flights as Lion Air - who knows!

But I will fly Garuda wherever possible (i.e. if they have a route that i'm flying) then assess backwards from there. If Garuda were not an option I would consider Malindo.

Lion Air are at the bottom of my list and have been for years. However, if my only option was flying Medan to Jakarta on Lionair or taking a 20 hour overnight bus on the transsumatran highway, i'd still reckon Lion Air would be safer! Likewise i'd fly Lion Air / Wings from Bali to Lombok over the speedboats. Flying in Indonesia is still safe, safer than it every has been, just slightly less safe than flying in other countries!
Thanks so much for that! I'm planning on flying them (Malindo) from Bangkok (DMK) to Kuala Lumpur. I've never really worried about flying a particular airline too much, but I also remember all the problems back in the day with Garuda (and Korean in the 90's). Would have no problem flying with either now.
Appreciate your input! ^