FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - OW new member?? Royal Air Maroc? TP Runs
View Single Post
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:17 am
etiene

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by rossmacd
I agree that RAM could cover a big gap in the network, but I would argue more that central Continental Europe being the biggest gap for OW presently. Currently, we only have BA, IB and AY, which no one can argue that they have conveniently located hubs (LON/MAD/HEL) for intra-EU flying. It is a true shame that AB went under, since they did offer some possibilities.

Then again, the LH group pretty much have central Continental Europe sewn up, with prices to match.
Fair point on the network, I don't think I see a likely solution to that in the present time though. IG seem to mostly be flying within Italy or long haul so wouldn't be the answer [at least at present]. There aren't really any other well placed Continental Europe options that aren't already part of ST or *A that I can think of...?

It would also seem like somewhat odd timing for IG, given Al-Baker's recent comments and the QR interest in IG - but his comments may well be hot air again. I think they'd be a more attractive proposition to an alliance a few years down the road when they are fully stocked with ex-QR Dreamliners and however many 737s they're receiving so that they are running a really extensive network both short and long haul. Joining an alliance might be one path to fuelling that growth, though maybe they fit OW Connect better for that.