FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - (Russia): Advice on first russian flight
View Single Post
Old Nov 28, 2018, 4:14 pm
korbi

Question (Russia): Advice on first russian flight

Hello out there,

this is a greenhorn joining flyertalk, so please don't kill me if my questions seem dumb.
The situation is the following: I am planning to travel to PKC (Kamchatka, so not exactly the closest destination from here). Route for S7: MUC - DME - OVB - PKC. Route for Aeroflot: MUC - SVO - PKC.
There are (as far as I found out) only two airlines offering flights to PKC anyway, so the pool of offerings is limited to S7 and Aeroflot.

I am going to bring sports equipment there, both offer free skiing luggage (couldn't find out if Aeroflot considers skiing luggage as part of the regular luggage - S7 allows it for free in addition to regular baggage).
I don't have any Russia experience at all. Never been there, and the only two russian words I know are from online gaming and not appropriate here .

The obvious advantage for Aeroflot is their cheaper economic class (and skipping OVB, but that doesn't mean travel time is shorter at all. 14h are possible, but only 1:55 in SVO. For international flights with zero experience in Russia too short).

Hopefully I could get some information:
1. Which airline would you choose? I've got some buckets saved for, so Comfort in Aeroflot is an option. Worth it? S7 doesn't offer one. Business is too expensive for me.
2. Independent of Airline: If I'd like to plan a few extra hours as a buffer, should I spend them in DME or SVO? I am skeptical because of visa/passport control. Might take a while, doesn't it? Especially as the relationship between Russia and the EU didn't exactly improve during the last years.
3. If S7 wins: Is Novosibirsk (and their airport) worth a visit? S7 means always a long stop and a short stop. I can choose between long/short in DME and long/short in OVB. Which is more suitable/interesting? I would consider OVB more "originally russian" and therefore more interesting.

Info about me: 1,96, not fat, doesn't smoke, speaks english, german and italian. A bit of flying experience (but I don't count miles or sth, several intercontinental flights, some domestic), but I am too dumb to find out more about DME/SVO/OVB.

Thanks for input!