FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Couple days in Western France/Belgium around New Year's - where to go?
Old Nov 28, 2018, 2:54 pm
TimDP

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by highlanderfil
I'm going to Bruges for New Year's and will be there until about mid-afternoon on the 1st of January. Between then and the time my ferry leaves Dieppe (early in the morning of the 4th), I've got about 2.5 days in which to drive about 300 miles. Looking for things to do en route. Ideas? I realize weather will be less than ideal, but am hoping the collective wisdom of FT will help me enjoy the trip all the same. So far I've been looking a Rouen and Honfleur, but open to any and all suggestions.
Did you already booked hotels for the nights between the 1st and the 4th?

If I would have to go from Bruges to Dieppe I would try to plan something like this:

1st night in Ypres (1h drive from Bruges): attend last post ceremony at the Menin Gate in the evening (every day at 8pm). Go to In Flanders Field museum the morning of Jan 2nd. After the visit drive to a location in France where you spend the next 2 nights, so not too far from Dieppe (Amiens - 2h drive or Rouen - 3h drive from Ypres). On the way over there you can stop in Lille (+ Amiens if you pick Rouen as destination). On 3th of January go to Etretat + visit the city you're staying (Rouen or Amiens)

Mont St Michel seems way off to me. Even if you consider the distance; Normandy is closer