Old Nov 28, 18, 7:41 am
GUWonder
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Section 107 View Post
On their face, no, of course not, they were absurd incidents.

Having said that, I also wasn't there and don't know any of the details other than what has been presented here, so it's possible there were other factors involved which would make the decisions reasonable.

But as much as it pains me to appear to defend the Dept of Homeland Insecurity - lets keep things in perspective. There are ~50k TSOs handling more than 450,000,000 checkpoint transactions every year. With that kind of volume of human interactions there are bound to be ridiculous and egregious incidents. Even if there were 300 such absurd incidents over the last 10 years, that would be 300 out of 4,500,000,000 interactions; lamentable to some degree to be sure - but hardly a deplorable state of affairs.
I donít see any real pain arising from the above attempted defense of DHS/TSA.

Itís certainly a deplorable state of affairs when a government agency ó the TSA in this case ó can de facto deprive passengers of maintaining any and all their due property rights at the security screening checkpoint by going after passengersí items that pose no more credible threat to flight security than an otherwise permissible Mickey Mouse baseball cap.

Without due respect for property rights, government renders the public into being servants of the government and undermine the fundamental democratic requirement that government ó and its agents ó should be the servant of the public. Itís a deplorable state of affairs when governmentís due respect for property rights are as bad as they are.