FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Unaccompanied Minors Not Permitted on 2+ Hour Connections
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:02 pm
nethak

Programs: nowadays: dl pm, formerly: hp plat/us cp/aa exp, nw plat
Unaccompanied Minors Not Permitted on 2+ Hour Connections

From the Alaska Airlines website:
Children traveling alone, ages 8 through 12 years old, may be booked on flights involving transfers or connections to flights operated by Alaska Airlines, Horizon Air, SkyWest Flight Series 3440-3499, PenAir, or Ravn Alaska
I use Alaska a couple of times a year to send my daughter to her mom's house in California simply because their UM fees are the most reasonable. Earlier this year - before Alaska raised their UM fees - my daughter was able to fly alone on SkyWest flights with a number below 3440.

I went to book her travel for Christmas now and I'm forced to select more expensive flights and in many cases the "last flight out" simply because all earlier/cheaper flights have a SkyWest flight number below 3440.

This is a new change and when I asked Alaska "why" I wasn't given an answer - just directed to look at other options. I'm curious if anyone knows why this limitation is in place... I guess it would make me feel better if I knew there was a logical reason for this seemingly arbitrary limitation or it might help me to determine if this is something flexible with appropriate escalation.