FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 4 stays away from Gold status -- is it really worth it?
Old Nov 26, 18, 1:14 pm
pinniped
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jbeckett View Post
Don't do this. If you don't check in physically, you are likely to be considered a no-show and will not receive a stay or night credit.
+1 this. I know there are some mixed results being posted here, but I would not bet on being able to do this with any kind of certainty.

Besides, OP has access to CN$70 rooms that are presumably not too big of a hassle to get to.

Only thing I'd add about Gold status is this:
- Do not expect to get upgraded. Highly unlikely that you will get an upgrade in Hawaii. True for Diamonds as well, so you aren't missing out on that.
- Take a look at what your specific property does for breakfast for Golds. FT probably has good information. We travel with 4 often as well. Some properties are looser than others on kids breakfasts. Some are tight on the 2x per night, but will hand you a stack of coupons effectively allowing you a full family breakfast every other day and you just go try local restaurants on the odd days. Others mark your name on a list and it's just 2 per day, no way around it. There may even be a property or two that has a lounge, but I don't see that as much anymore at the resorts.

You may enjoy one of the HGVC properties, although it wouldn't surprise me if they all have the "premium award" nonsense in the current program.