FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - PreCheck closed because TSA does not have enough people to do their job
Old Nov 26, 2018, 1:09 pm
Boggie Dog
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gsoltso
There may have been situations beyond the norm that require those lanes being shut down, and additional people would not necessarily resolve the issue. Sometimes the equipment goes down. I am not arguing that the level of service should not be consistent, it should. Most likely, TSA foresaw some situations similar to this, and included the following disclaimer in all of the Trusted traveler programs "Expedited screening is not guaranteed" (or some variation of that phrasing).

At this point you have a few comments indicating that the lanes were closed, and I have not seen a response by TSA yet. I am not saying that they were unable to handle the volume, but there may have been something else that created the situation. As I mentioned in a different comment, there may have been a minimum lane requirement, there may have been a shift leaving, and that removed the personnel that could staff that lane, and if a TSM has to choose between running just a standard lane, or just a precheck lane, they are going to have to choose the standard lane.

Add to any of these situations the record numbers TSA saw over the last week, and you have more opportunities than usual to have a shortage of staffing - even with projected staffing models.

I am not arguing your points at all, they are all valid and part of the thought process. The only point I will make is that sometimes other factors come into play and create a situation where the Pre lane has to shut down. I elaborated on that a bit in my previous comment. Just like with Boggie, he has a point that the service level should be the same across the board - the point I make there is the same, some situations simply do not allow for that to happen at all times.

Your comment in post #/6 revolved around staffing requirements which is what I spoke too.