FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA refuses boarding back to UK despite OK from Immigration Authorities
Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:52 am
LTN Phobia
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by wobbly wings
This has nothing to do with BA. It's all to do with Home Office issuing the reference number for the pax to travel. BA won't let the pax board without Home Office authorisation. However the Home Office should provide the reference when presented with the situation by the airline and some minimal evidence the pax in question is who he portrays to be. They can easily check if the pax in question is a permanent resident, and, in fact, permanent residency is not required to be issued with permission to return home as long as the person normally resides in the UK.
I was not blaming BA in any way - merely saying that it justified their action in denying boarding to the OP, as it appears from the OP's earlier post that they tried, and failed, to get the reference number (which may have been due to lack of sufficient evidence of the OP's EU citizenship*).

So, that would be a legitimate reason for BA not allowing the OP to travel:
Originally Posted by fomc
[- snipped -] BA handler agent then disappears and comes back 30 min later saying bad news, “UK border is refusing to give us a reference code for you coming to LHR”. I smell total BS after I ask him what phone number he contacted. He tells me he can’t give the number because only BA can have it. Really? [- snipped-]
* Some countries in the EU I believe do not permit dual citizenship with the exception of citizenship of another EU country and therefore, there may have even been a suspicion that the OP did not hold a valid citizenship of that country which originally issued the expired ID. Since the OP has not mentioned his nationality, we won't know the answer to this particular question (at least not yet).

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Nov 26, 2018 at 7:17 am