FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Feel offended by A3 [account placed in audit]
Old Nov 26, 2018, 2:42 am
Knobbgb

Programs: A3 *G
This is similar to the requests people have posted about before, where their account was audited - usually because of excessive/suspicious use of Together accounts. What worries me is that the information asked for here is different,much more invasive and a security concern.

1) Selfie. Why? I suppose it proves that you are the person in the ID, but that hardly helps. Collecting points in a false name is unlikely. If this is an existing account and you have credited 'real' points then you MUST be anyway, or you would never have boarded an aircraft.
2) Photo of ID. Fair enough - this is what they were asking for in those previous cases.
3) Utility Bill. Could be a problem for many people. I live in rural Greece and my house doesn't even have an address. I receive one domestic bill just via the Post Office with my name, the name of the Island and the postcode. the other two are done electronically. I think many/most people in the most developed countries these days deal with ALL domestic bills electronically, don't they? And we all know how easy it is to Photoshop a screenshot. Before this I lived with friends in a shared flat and, even had it had an address, I had no bills in my name.
4) HUGE security concern - that image could stick around for ages or be intercepted. Sending a photograph of a credit card via standard email has to be about the most absurd thing one could be requested to do by a reputable company. About the only saving grace is that the CVC number is only on the back and is thus not visible.

This does seem FAR more invasive than previous incidents. I'd be very unhappy if this were me. I know they have a right to suspend or cancel any account at any time, for any reason, but I think this is a step too far unless they are VERY suspicious. Why would spending lots of money on purchased miles be suspicious anyway? About the only possible breach of rules I can see is that somebody could be trying to breach the 50,000 mile per year maximum for purchased miles by opening fake accounts and adding them to a Together account. I assume the OP could confirm if this was a new account or if any actual miles had been accrued. The simple answer for Aegean would be to only allow the purchase of miles for accounts that have 'real' points already credited.

Last edited by Knobbgb; Nov 26, 2018 at 3:05 am