FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA refuses boarding back to UK despite OK from Immigration Authorities
Old Nov 26, 2018, 2:06 am
Irreverent Medusa

Programs: BAEC blue dust
Originally Posted by SQTraveller
Good luck OP.

I feel your frustration, but I kinda feel you should have had your passport anyway,
Erm, why? A national ID card is a perfectly valid form of identification for travel when a visa isn't required, especially intra-EU. Just because the UK doesn't do ID cards doesn't mean that these aren't any good I'm French and have both an ID card and a passport - I do tend to use my passport when travelling regardless so that I can use the e-gates but that's the only reason. When my mum comes over from France for a visit, she only takes her ID card and has done so for the last 25 years.

As for entry to the UK with expired documents for EU nationals... From https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...m/index_en.htm (bold is mine)
"All EU citizens must show a valid national identity card or passport when entering and leaving the UK. But if you cannot produce such a document, the authorities must give you every chance to get one within a reasonable time limit or produce other satisfactory evidence of your identity and citizenship.

So BA were being a tad over-cautious there - like it or not, the UK is still in the EU at least for a few months yet...

ETA: I would not knowingly travel on an expired ID though. The now stupidly long timescales for renewal are a PITA. Many years ago, I used to be able to rock up at the French consulate and walk out with my shiny new ID card or passport on the same day; now I have to book an appointment and it takes a good 4 to 6 weeks before I can go and pick up the new stuff. The process will obviously differ by country.

Last edited by Irreverent Medusa; Nov 26, 2018 at 2:16 am