FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Apple Airpods and Microsoft Surface
View Single Post
Old Nov 26, 2018, 1:06 am
film_girl

Programs: Delta Diamond , Marriott Ambassador, Alaska MVP Gold, American Airlines Gold
It’s possible the AirPod successors (whenever they are released) will support pairing with two devices at a time (keep in mind, you’ll still have to manually switch between the two), but that’s not contingent on BT 5.0. BT 4.1 and 4.2 can connect to multiple devices at the same time (usually two), I believe the reason AirPods don’t is because Apple prioritizes bandwidth over connections to make the latency as low as possible. BT 5.0 has higher bandwidth so that could allow to multiple simultaneous pairs at once.

One of the reasons the W1 chip is in AirPods is to aid in the pairing with other Apple devices for faster switching, but that doesn’t work with the Surface 2 or any other non-Apple device.

Despite questionable part leaks, it’s not clear when we’ll see the next iteration of AirPods. The two-year anniversary is coming up and an update would certainly sell well (I’ll be the first to buy them if there is any functional upgrade — if the only update is wireless charging, I’m uninterested), but I legitimately doubt we’ll see them before the end of the year. My personal prediction is that we see them in March, assuming Apple follows its pattern of doing non-Pro iPad updates in the spring (potentially alongside a new Mac Pro or refreshed iMac/iMac Pro machines).

But it even if the nexf AirPods support BT 5.0, there’s no guarantee Apple will let multiple non-Apple devices pair simultaneously.