FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Searching for Star Alliance Award Availability - HELP!
Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:56 am
hairhooks

Searching for Star Alliance Award Availability - HELP!

Am trying to book a flight from SIN to San Jose, Costa Rica (SJO) via LAX. Am trying to fly on BR to LAX and then Avianca to SJO with the intention of trying a different J product.

I've searched on the SQ website for SIN to SJO but to no avail. There's award availability for 2 x J from SIN to LAX via BR (and SQ) but I can't search LAX to SJO - think only Avianca Brazil flights, and not its other subsidiaries e.g. Avianca Colombia / Avianca Costa Rica etc., are searchable.

When I rang the KF Call Centre, the first agent gave me a few combinations, all of which involved SQ. For some reason or another, she couldn't see any flights on BR. I HUCA-ed and the second agent said there were no 2 x J seats available from LAX to SJO for a range of dates e.g. 5 November 2019 to 14 November 2019. She also could not see any flights to SJO via LAX on BR and Avianca. I asked for alternatives e.g. NH/SQ from SIN to MEX via NRT, and then SJO via Avianca, but they couldn't see that option either.

I'm just wondering if (1) there's only a specific combination of airlines that I can take from SIN to SJO; and (2) there's only a few routes that I can take to get to SJO from SIN that is permitted.

On a side note, does anyone know how many days in advance does Avianca release seats to partners like SQ? It seems like one of the issues is getting a J seat from LAX to SJO.

I'll also try to call again another time - this time with specific flight numbers and routes. Just not sure how many times to give it a go - I'm more inclined to think that the call centre agents are trying their best to help, but who knows?