Old Nov 24, 18, 1:05 pm
bhrubin
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I agree with you for SPG, despite people here always claiming that a Plat is a Plat is a Plat. I also suspect that SPG gave some consideration to lifetime Plat status on top of the four levels.

OTOH, AFAIK MR never published anything to indicate that Plats should have priority over Golds for suites. Indeed, getting a suite seemed to depend on being the first once to argue with the front desk the upgrade. [I realize that *now* there's the distinction about who can get suites at RCs.]
In case anyone missed it, the new Marriott Loyalty Program looks almost nothing like the older Marriott Rewards program and looks a lot more like the old SPG program.

So again, despite any lack of public disclosure, I’ve already seen both RC and legacy SPG brands showing priority to higher status Plat levels like Ambasasadors and also Plat Premiers. To me, it’s pretty obvious that the new Marriott program is already doing what is logical and reflects basic common sense: giving priority to Ambassador > Plat Premier/Titanium > Platinum > Gold > Silver.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Lifetime status guests get a slight advantage, but it also wouldn’t surprise me if Lifetime Titanium and regular Titanium guests are more or less prioritized similarly. Same with Lifetime Plat and regular Platinum guests. There is no real incentive for Marriott to provide a Lifetime guest with any higher priority than a guest who’s earned that same status that particular year. Of course, that likely will never be disclosed publicly, so we likely will never know how the Marriott proprietary algorithm applies that distinction.

Last edited by bhrubin; Nov 24, 18 at 1:14 pm