FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upgrade Clear chances
View Single Post
Old Nov 23, 2018, 12:34 pm
freddy0622

Programs: OZ Dia+, NH Plat, JL Sapphire
Upgrade Clear chances

Hi Guys,

A newbie in the flyertalk forum, but I had been mining the threads for a long time as a guest
I'm booking a LAX-NRT flight on 12/3 (so less than 2 weeks of departure), while I saw an upgrade seat available so I jumped to call the phone rep (Since I wanted to book specific classes where the website doesn't allow us to do so)
However, out of my luck, when I finished booking the only seat was snatched by another guy so I was stuck in Y and paid a huge load of cash in my H class ticket.
Although the rep comforted me that I still have a chance since I was the only one lining up for J (And I'm PLAT as well), I wonder how are the chances that I get cleared up.
BTW there are still ~14 J seats empty (according to the seat map)
I know that's it's a kinda old-school every-day question, but I really wanna know how things are going in 2018 so far. especially for those who has a status with NH.
I read through the forum and various JP blogs, seems that people with elite status normally clear through at a ~90% rate (including at gate), but I dunno if that's the case for me since I booked so closed-in.

Do you guys recommend me to pray and hold on tight? Or Rebook the return flight on H in Feb instead and waitlist forever?(I'm currently booked in Q since round trip H class is like $2000....)
Or just cancel the ticket and book EVA instead (Cuz my company pays for my Y fare and booking a B fare is fairly cheap compared to other *A carriers)?? I really wanted to try out NH since my Plat is expiring next year and I still haven't had the chance to try PY nor J....
Any suggestions will be very welcomed, thanks!!