FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Duty Free Allowance - per person or per family?
Old Nov 22, 2018, 9:40 am
Kettering Northants QC

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Originally Posted by WorldLux
OT: I thought the moderator's warning was clear enough. apparently not.

---

The "transport yourself" refers to having the goods with you, i.e. they have to be in your checked baggage or hand baggage*. This does not imply that goods have to be separated into different luggage items. These duty-free allowances would not apply if you decide to ship your luggage separately.

Two people travelling together can absolutely put goods falling within their individual allowances into ONE suitcase**. I'm not sure where you're getting your information from, but I rely on several years of declaring goods upon arrival and being occasional checked randomly.

* "Your checked baggage or hand baggage" meaning the baggage of your travel party, not necessarily of a single individual.

**On the contrary, two travellers will not be able to pool their allowances: E.g. Bringing back a single 1.1L bottle of Vodka would not be covered by the duty-free allowances whereas two 0.75L bottles of Vodka packed into the same suitcase would be covered by the duty-free allowances as each passenger is allowed up to 1L of spirits.
You only circumstance I can see HMRC wanting to apply this rule (in the way inferred by dulciuswhateverious impies) is where a group of independent travelers conspire to illegally import excess duty free products by claiming to be travelling in a group. I.e. A,B C, D each put 4 litres of vodka in their cases - on going through Duty Free A gets stopped, B,C and D continue and are on their way. A claims he is carrying the Vodka for A, B, C and D.

For a family, it would be complete nonsense. My wife and I pack our cases together and mix stuff across both cases to avoid the risk of having no clothing if one case goes missing. We check in together and have the same travel plans - no issue.