FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help to check BA seat availability and BA flight loads
Old Nov 22, 2018, 3:44 am
PETER01
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by PETER01
LHR-MSY - J9 C3 D0 R0 I0 W9 E1 T0 Y9 B9 H9 K9
M8 L5 V1 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G9 - (789, 4 class plane on a 3 class flight at the moment)
Originally Posted by Peter Ould
I noticed they'd changed plane yesterday so was curious how the new map looked. I'm reading this as a plane with lots of space in all cabins?
As I understand it, EF just shows what BA are willing to sell and not how many passengers have actually purchased tickets, how many are actually in a specific cabin etc and which is understandably commercially sensitive information. BA would be very happy if they could sell 9 J seats at full fare in the last week and that would possibly fill the F cabin but it's hard to say as J9 means there are 9 or MORE seats for sale and only BA will know what that exact amount is.

The seatmap on EF shows a fair amount of seats unallocated in CW, WTP and economy (sorry I can't do a screenshot at the moment) At just over 7 days out I would expect this to fill up with Bronzes/OW Rubys, families/groups being allocated 3/4 days out etc so I'd expect it to change

The First cabin is blocked off. As I understand it they will (officially) only fill it when CW is full and overbooked and they have physically more passengers than seats. However, some on FT have reported being able to move into the F cabin and it sticking, others not so lucky and have been re-allocated a CW seat and perhaps not to their liking!

So to summarise in my view, empty or empty ish seatmaps can't be relied upon, EF does give some indication re overselling/overbooked and EF can show a fair few seats available which can then all change in the last few days, even in the T-24 period and which is my experience at LAX, a main route for me the last 12-18 months.

Others including at @Globaliser, @corporate-wage-slave, @KARFA, @rossmacd etc etc are far far more experienced than me at this kind of stuff but that's my amateur view! Perhaps they will endorse my comments, explain it better or correct me!

Pete

Last edited by PETER01; Nov 22, 2018 at 3:52 am