FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Prepaid SIM - UK/Great Britain/England/Scotland/Wales
Old Nov 22, 2018, 12:30 am
Silver Fox
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by username
Just want to share my experience. I checked the WH Smith, vending machine and other outlets at LHR T2. WH Smith' cheapest SIM with plan was 20 GBP but also had the 3 card for 1.99 GBP (minimum voucher is 10 GBP). Since I am cheap, I decided to wait. In town, there was no price at Tesco for the 3 card and the guy only charged me for the voucher.

3's website is not very stable - I had multiple problems registering. However, the phone side of things worked fine. I did have to change the APN.

I decided on the 1,2,3 plan where the credit never expires as long as you use it once every 6 months. Every time you add a voucher, you get 150 MB free for the first 48 hours!

Interesting enough, unlike the pre-paid in US and Canada, Wifi calling works. So, I wonder if it will work when I am outside UK. Otherwise, I have to come back just to keep my credit going

It is incredible how inexpensive mobile service is here.
I use 3 In Touch app for wifi calling as my phone does not have vanilla wifi calling. When travelling outside the UK that has never worked for me so I will be interested to see what your experience is.

And yes, all my American friends are amazed at the cost and the many choices of locations you can get a SIM/plan without having to sign in to speak to an "adviser" (ATT), get a hard upsell (ATT), pay a premium if you buy it in San Francisco (ATT), and have a policeman on the door to stop the homeless coming in (well most of them, one slipped through and was asleep in the store) (ATT). But apart from that the play was quite good