FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amsterdam DIY Zaanse Schans Windmills and more
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:08 pm
atlgaflyer

Amsterdam DIY Zaanse Schans Windmills and more

Going to Amsterdam and want to see a real working windmill? I was disappointed when I was there for a day and learned all the morning tours for the next day were booked. I figured for an organized tour with transportation, translation, and help with food it was worth the 70-80 euros per person. I figured instead I would just walk around town the next morning and see what the city offered versus making the trip outside of downtown to Zaanse Schans.

Since I was staying next to Amsterdam Central Station and where the cruise ships parked, I knew public transportation had to offer some options. I did some quick research and learned I could take a public bus directly to Zaanse Schans for 10 euros round trip with buses running every 15 minutes. Amsterdam Central Station is a just an easy 10 walk from the cruise ships or trolleys could get your there in a few minutes. Once at Central station, a train was also an option and slightly faster but required a 15 minute walk from the station to Zaanse Schans versus the bus which dropped you just a couple minutes away. So the overall duration was the same but walk or ride was the choice which you should consider local weather conditions also.

TIP - Highly recommend arriving if possible just prior to 9am. All the tour buses (hundreds if not thousands of folks) start arriving around 915-930am. We arrived at 845 and had a great experience with the place being empty and even help local folks open and start a wind mill before it opened to the public (see video). Certainly an unforgettable experience.

While Windmills have a per person admission fee (around 5 euros) all other sites like the local cheese factory and wooden shoe museum/factory and demo were free. We were sitting next to folks in organized tours from downtown and cruise ships during the wooden shoe demo that likely paid 80 euros per person compared to our 10 euros (per adult and children 1 euro). In addition we could go at our own pace and set our own agenda.

The public bus ride back was great and nonstop (around 25 minutes). The bus trip going made a couple of stops but no changes were required so transit time going was about 35 minutes. You can buy your fare at the main station prior to leaving however child fares must be purchased when boarding.

Highly recommend seeing Zaanse Schans and DIY! Save money and time and have more flexibility. Check out the video of what Zaanse Schans offers. See Holland outside of the city and still have some time to walk around Amsterdam.