FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How to get residual/"future flight credit" from non-refundable flight
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:48 am
SFOrunner

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jsloan

UA may definitely see that you have two flights to two different destinations at the same time. If you’re lucky, they’ll call you before they decide which one to cancel. If you’re not, they won’t. It’s possible that they’ll miss it, of course, but they have software that specifically looks for this.
They definitely saw it...I woke up to an email from TripActions, my work travel agency. TripActions was notifying me that United had made them aware of a duplicate booking with flights that contradict each other.

I called UA this morning and advised them that I needed to change / cancel my ORD-SFO return flight. The 1K rep advised me that there would be a $200 change fee (that he was going to waive), and that there was an add-collect for repricing my outbound as a one-way, now that the return was going to be canceled. I took exception to this as United would not be able to reprice my one-way after the fact (as they wouldn't have known it was a one-way unless I called them.) So I asked the agent to just leave my flights alone for the time being, and that I'd call back tomorrow night, after flying SFO-ORD, in order to cancel my ORD-SFO return. In the meantime, my companion has been split to a separate PNR altogether.