FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How to get residual/"future flight credit" from non-refundable flight
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:11 am
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LRMErnst
And let's further complicate it - My ORD-BOS flight leaves at 2:00 PM on Sunday, 11/25. UA just changed our flights to the ORD-SFO flight that also leaves at 2:00 PM. I am still planning on changing / cancelling my return, however is there a point in time where UA will see that I have two flights booked to two different destinations at 2:00 PM on the same day? And if UA sees that, what will happen to my reservation? I'm assuming that I should cancel my ORD-SFO return before checking into my ORD-BOS outbound?
UA may definitely see that you have two flights to two different destinations at the same time. If you’re lucky, they’ll call you before they decide which one to cancel. If you’re not, they won’t. It’s possible that they’ll miss it, of course, but they have software that specifically looks for this.

Originally Posted by LRMErnst
Last question - my companion and I are now both booked into B fares on the return, ORD-SFO. I had GPU's waitlisted when we were originally on a W fare the day prior. Because of the 1K Y/B/M upgrade perk, it would behoove me to take both GPU's back, correct?
Unless your companion also has status, you’d basically be depending upon using your status for a flight you didn’t intend to take to get an upgrade for someone else. Not sure how full your personal karma bank is. Prior to the gate, it’s definitely true that the Y/B/M instant upgrade would have higher priority than the GPU. That said — unless you see PN space now, I’m not sure how likely it is to appear on ORD-SFO. You’d still be behind GS members, and, well, they sell a lot of F inventory on that route.

Also, whenever you decide to cancel your ORD-SFO flight, your companion would lose your status for the purposes of the upgrade.