Old Nov 20, 18, 2:18 am
Thai-Kiwi

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post
Well you're kinda not paying business class $$ fares though. Looking at it the cheapest available standard QF fares from SYD-PER are around A$2500 which is way more than the NZ$1500 standard fares you can fly AKL-SYD-PER for in business if you select a day that you're booked in business and not economy on QF.

How long before Australians start flying to AKL just to fly to PER for less than they pay in their own country?!
I think it is more pertinent to look at fares from NZ to Australia. The 'standard' oneway fare AKL-PER seems around $1450 irrespective of routing, and far enough in advance there seems to be no or little variation in price.

But the fares I saw in Dec and Jan typically had NZ direct $1800-$2500, and mixed carrier biz fares on NZ/QF around $1500-$1800. I saw one fare for $2500 AKL-MEL (NZ J) thence MEL-PER (QF Y) .... so it can go either way in terms of price, but 99% of normal pax would simply assume at the prices these fares were in biz for both sectors.

There are plenty of examples similar to what you suggest - where domestic, or hub, flights are more expensive than if sold for a different market. Example, BKK-AKL-BKK on TG J was around $US 3500 when I was working in Thailand, however the fare HAN-BKK-AKL-BKK-HAN was $US 2100. However, it was too much of a pain to buy in Vietnam and and get visas etc.

Remember, in the late 80s it was sometimes cheaper to fly internationally CHC-SYD-AKL, than it was to fly CHC-AKL - back in the 'bad old days' when domestic subsidised international for Air NZ (but I digress)....