FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Failing to clear DM1600 bookable upgrades - any experiences?
Old Nov 18, 2018, 10:12 pm
G-CIVC

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
I am confirmed now a day earlier, luckily I am slightly flexible this time. But this casts doubt on how successfully I will be able to use these certs in future occasions, more extremely whether I might want to reset at 1200 (actually...will hit that again by April) instead of 1600 and use AM instead. At least you can waitlist with AM upgrades!

I called again to understand what I can do now. According to the 3888 agent this time round, they can facilitate a change provided there is availability for both the underlying (I) and BUD based on POS (A) fare class on my desired date, and as that comes closer to departure, while they are required to say that it will take 3 days with risk of the latter availability being gone in the meanwhile, they can normally process it much quicker (indeed, my BUGs cleared within hours so I don't understand what is the 72 hours fuss about).

Also, I don't think F1A1 is the major issue, it is POS. Because I also asked about another flight that I am thinking of doing a BUD on, it is F1A1 but since I bought the ticket from a high yield POS, they said they can confirm the BUD. I just didn't want to take it yet coz the only seat remaining was 1D.

Although I am disappointed/dismayed and think this is quite unfair, I can understand the rationale between limiting the usability of BUDs based on POS. What CX sucks wrt this tho, is that they should make it clear in their T&Cs so we have less ambiguity and uncertainty to deal with.

Edit: Also, for those that want to use this for R to I instead of I to A, I can imagine this will be even more difficult/tricky given how tight CX is when it comes to outport-POS I-class availability from time to time - pretty sure there's more than often a bigger discrepancy between JCDI over FA in these circumstances. Buyer beware!