FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Airfare to HNL booked, but now thinking of making changes. Where to go?
Old Nov 18, 2018, 3:41 pm
tatterdema

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by SavvyTravel
Slight hijack of this thread to ask a specific 'help wanted" about left luggage

We've booked 10 days on the Big Island (in and out of KOA from LAX (from PHL out and to NYC back, all on AA) in early January. Obviously with baggage (2 people, one suitcase each).

Our hotel plans are now firming up but we've decided that that really want to go to Oahu (specifically Pearl Harbour plus the rest of the island) for a couple of days.

We have baggage but to avoid the $25 per bag charge (total $100 for two bags return) and the 'waiting for bag' wait times, we'd ideally like to leave our suitcases and do a couple of nights on Oahu HBO. We are thinking that we'd travel KOA-HNL Sunday night (or Monday morning, if we spent a night in a hotel that could look after our cases) and back Wednesday morning (our flight leaves KOA for LAX/NYC at 1.53pm). The airport info for KOA says the left luggage is closed for security reasons.

So, does anyone know where we can store our bags for three days, ideally very near KOA because otherwise if we have to get a cab from KOA into Kona to collect them then that's $50 return

Thx
I cannot help with leaving bags behind, but I can with saving a little taking them with you. If you are flying Hawaiian, and join their FF club, it will only cost you $60 instead of $100. If you book one of you in first class, 2 bags fly free. It would still cost you $100, but one of you would get to fly first each direction. I did the First class deal last time I flew as a small surprise and treat to my partner. It was only 1 way, so it cost me about $20 (if I figured in what the luggage would have cost). The luv I got in return was worth a lot more than that....

There are new services similar to Air BNB in cities that store luggage for you. I do not know the names of them off the top of my head, but I doubt they have one close to KOA anyway, they are mostly in cities.

One last option I can think of is a rental car. A half a day rental car to go into Kailua-Kona and get your bags can be as low as around $29 depending on your date.