Old Nov 18, 18, 9:08 am
jjmoore

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | DL Silver | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre 
Originally Posted by defrosted View Post
They started off offering $300, then went up to $800, which caused a line. They were asking for 7 volunteers to take a later (same day) flight, I volunteered but they ended up not needing me and most of the other volunteers, but I think a couple lucky people did get the $800 vouchers.
When there are lots and lots needed, like in this case, try to be the first one to volunteer. They always go with the first person in line (the online list doesn't matter). Even if the offer starts low, sign up. Worst thing that can happen is you decline if you're not happy with the offer and force them to either up it on the spot or go with someone else.

Same thing happened to me on DL609 on Friday evening... there were 12 volunteers needed on that ATL-MCO flight, price went up to $800, but ultimately there were a ton of local no-shows and everyone boarded... flight went out exactly even (they held me until the very last second before allowing me to board, and the door closed behind me). Disappointment...... would have loved the AMEX card to spend on UA flights.