FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Massive fire in NorCal causing flight delays and bad air Aug 2020->
Old Nov 17, 2018, 10:29 am
Eastbay1K
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by dhuey
Not the best time to visit our beautiful region. I try to put it a global perspective. Many parts of the world have air this horrible on a regular basis. And what we are enduring here in the SF Bay Area is nothing compared to those directly affected by the fires.

All of that said, I've never experienced anything like this in my 29 years of living in Northern California, and in my 22 years prior to that. I see the smoke as I look out my window, across the street. It's awful.
Up until the past couple of days, the air was reminiscent of the San Fernando and San Gabriel Valley summers through the 70s, with similar AQI readings, and orange / red glow sun sunsets if you were east of the smog. But the past couple days were exceptional. Yesterday, on a drive to/from Fremont, the average visibility was about a mile. From the I-880 / 80 flyover connector, the Emeryville tall buildings were hazy. Last night, lights shining down on sports fields looked like ground fog (made of smoke) was hovering over the turf.