FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Speculations of new Finnair routes or frequencies
Old Nov 15, 2018, 4:01 pm
haapalainen

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
Originally Posted by ffay005
HNL would be my favourite. Within the A350 range, right over the North Pole (bring back those certificates from the 1980s!) and, I suppose, with reasonable demand from Europe. Cargo might be difficult, though.
HNL would certainly be interesting especially as HEL seems to be the closest EU capital to Hawaii. This geography fact really surprises me as well as learning that HEL is also the closest EU capital to Sydney, Australia. Who would have thought that just by looking at a regular Mercator projection map of the Earth?! And people still keep saying how Finland is so isolated and far away from everything

The 6800 miles distance flight from HEL to HNL would probably take about 13 to 14 hours so it would not be the easiest to fit into Finnair longhaul waves. Maybe a few times a week similar times ex-HEL as SIN-flight although local time in HNL makes arrival quite early?
HEL-HNL 23.55-4.00+1
HNL-HEL 8.00-7.00+1

HEL to SYD is close to 9500 miles distance meaning it would be the second longest flight in the world after SIN-EWR with flying time of about 18 hours. Unlikely i would say!