FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The New Ansett - My Comments (long)
View Single Post
Old Jan 1, 2002, 11:00 pm
RichardMEL

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
I like all of the suggestions but the big killer here is costs - ie: better catering == mucho $$. More staffed positions == mucho $$. AN can't compete on costs with DJ, and barely could with QF. How can they make money trying to compete with additional costs like this.

AN already wins with e-checkin (which QF has yet to do) - I used it twice in the past few days, and bypassed lines and checkin totally (not that there were any, sadly). That is a cost saving for AN that the pax like. I love hopping up, sticking my card in and getting a BP in seconds, and you feel like you have some measure of control over the process, even if all you get left is a stinkin' middle seat (as with today!).

We know Fox/Lew AN faces a huge uphill battle, and I think we should expect that if it is going to succeed at all, it has to start more modestly. Spending huge $$$ upfront seems bad karma. Although you have the double-edged sword of marketing - if you don't spend the $$ on service, FF stuff, and telling people, they won't come.

The bottom line is that AN can't be what it once was. Personally I think a full service, 2 class airline idea is sheer folly and is doomed, but I will support them with my heart and wallet whatever happens, because Ansett is _my_ airline of choice.

We have to wait and see what happens...

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.