FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA Investigating Theft of Personal and Financial Data
Old Nov 14, 2018, 8:49 am
Tiger_lily

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn

i believe BA are still investigating this and discovering further issues hence the recent announcement. I was broken into on the first day of a BA trip. The first thing the Police asked me was if I was a victim of the BA data theft, it seems they have had a higher than usual number of BA passengers broken into whilst they were away yet we were told that travel details weren’t included in the information stolen. Not sure if it coincidence but this is the same BA that blamed a power surge for one of the biggest IT blunders.

I am surprised however thst stolen card data is being used, I’d have thought a wider scale identity theft scenario or using the information in line with other information out there would be a better use of criminals time..
I would imagine that a good example of identity theft takes time to construct. The not so bright ones will go straight for the credit card info because they see it as a quick win. I imagine we’ll see identity theft issues rearing their head in about 3-6 months.