FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - HKG Primer for Extended Business Trips?
View Single Post
Old Nov 13, 2018, 7:20 pm
tentseller
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
1. Recommended affordable Marriott properties near Tseung Kwan O Industrial Estate -- looks mostly to be Design Hotels which I'm not familiar with at all. With my other stays I'm at 745 nights and just 5 short of Marriott Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite so I really only need 5 nights in a Marriott. Then I may see if I can get a status match with IHG and stay at the Crowne Plaza my co-workers are staying at -- but am open, especially if you know of good discount codes or convenient subway stop hotels
  • Hotel choices are limited at TKO, namely the Crown Plaza and Holiday in (Express?). Maybe stay at the CP with the other workers to make getting around easier and do your 5 Marriott nights at the nice properties in Kowloon and Hong Kong.

2. Exercise Places: Namely running paths, tennis (indoor or out) and Pilates. Bonus points for English speaking since German is my only other language.
  • Not familiar with running trails, but you can get a temporary paid visitor membership at the many fitness clubs around TKO for Pilates. Same goes for tennis clubs but this will be limited in TKO
3. Weekend excursions, even if it means flying somewhere (SkyTeam!)
  • HKG is served by the following airlines for shorthaul Intra-Asia flights: MU CZ CI VN GA. Using a work contract to explore the area is a great perk of work. Besides the weekend HK is very generous with public holiday observance both Chinese and Western.

4. Recommendations on things to pack, where to go if I need urgent health care (I can figure some of this stuff out), best ways to replicate an Uber-like experience for car services, bike rentals, etc.
  • Uber has been declared not in compliance with HK laws but the app is still working and one can get served. Taxis are plentiful except for morning and afternoon rush hours, Taxi shift changes and inclement weather.
  • Healthcare: Where to go would be dependant on what your employer or private plan offers in coverage.

As mentioned before by christep in post #2 , make sure you have the proper visa to do what you are doing.

Last edited by tentseller; Nov 13, 2018 at 7:27 pm Reason: Formatting