FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - QR 701 DOH-JFK 12/11/18 Medical Emergency
Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:45 am
msm2000uk
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by ruby&carlos
After much deliberation, border patrol just let everyone through without visas.

I don't have travel insurance, which is the problem. Booked everything with my AMEX Platinum, which doesn't appear to offer anything for this situation.
That's a pretty big risk from the Canadian authorities, but a fairly sensible decision to take based on the limited resources they likely had available at short notice.

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Amex operates differently in every country, my Amex Plat does offer automatic travel insurance, no idea how it works elsewhere though (and not something I actively knew, I just googled it now to check)
Having never had to use the Travel Insurance on Amex Platinum until very recently, I can confirm that they're very good and quick at resolving and paying out. I was surprised, but delighted!

Originally Posted by awayIgo
I am amazed at those who are complaining, and hats off to those who get it. A stroke victim has a much better chance when emergency care is quickly rendered. So much in fact, that the newest thing is specially equipped ambulances which literally bring advanced stroke care to the patient.

My comment to those who are upset. Maybe you can figure out how to tell all the carriers you use that if G-d forbid you or a family member have a medical emergency— they should ignore it! YOU don’t want to inconvenience your fellow passengers!
Let's try and tone it down a tad.

I think even the most frustrated passengers would understand the need for the diversion, and we are fortunate on here to have passengers from the actual flight; even more fortunate to have the precise information of what happened (from the flight crew).

M