FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [CONFIRMED] Points and Cash Devaluation Coming 1 November?
Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:45 am
soartoday

Programs: AS Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starriott LTPP
The same thing may have just happened to me, but I'm not sure exactly what the deal is.

Scenario at a Hyatt Centric property:
  • Standard room available for cash (standard rate, member discount, AAA, etc.)
  • Standard room available for cash+points (at new cost).
  • Standard room not available for point redemption.
I called twice and got different explanations. The first time I was told that there were minimum stay requirements that weren't being met (which wouldn't make sense since it's available with cash or cash+points). The second time I was told that the hotel "selected" this period as one of the two times per year when they can choose not to release award nights even when standard room is available for purchase. If that's the case, that's news to me since the T&C are pretty clear:
1. Standard-Room Free Night Awards: Standard-room Free Night Awards may be redeemed only when standard rooms are available at the Standard Rateat the selected hotel or resort. Standard-room Free Night Awards are not subject to blackout dates at Hyatt hotels and resorts. (Redemption of Standard-room Free Night Awards at participating M life Rewards destinations may be subject to blackout dates.)
I called back yet again and got an agent who forced the issue and made the reservation for me.

Can the experts help educate me? Am I just uninformed about the "2 times a year" exception to standard room inventory?

Originally Posted by UCSBCHRIS2002
Already noticing devaluation due to this change.

Was looking for stay in SF on points. There is availability for a basic room at the Fisherman's Wharf hotel but they only allow you to book with points & cash (7,500 points + $325) online used to be $100 + points.

Didn't try to call in to see if they would let you book with only points. Clearly looks like they just don't want people to use just points.

Update - Called Hyatt and they informed me they would not allow a points only stay at this location even though basic room available. Asked why and was told it was the last room which doesn't make much sense. Clearly the hotel wants to take advantage of higher rate to receive cash. Clear devaluation.

Update #2 - Now when I check the hotel, both options are available. But started to check other dates with high room rates and the same thing is shown online. Only points & cash available for basic room. I wrote into Hyatt to get its policy if its possible to have points & cash for basic room option available but all points not. Will share the response received.

Update #3 - Response received.

"If the room is available for the standard rate the points should be available as well. Checking into the dates it looks like the hotel is sold out now, so we would not be able to set that up at this time. If you see this in the future I would try calling the hotels in house reservation department, or us in central reservations. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused."

Clearly, this is not was showing online or what the agent told me when I called in. There was clearly a standard room available, points and cash stay showing up, but all points not showing up. And when I called in they told me I couldn't book all points.