FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question about checking bags through when different tickets and codeshares
Old Nov 12, 2018, 5:34 pm
qofmiwok

Question about checking bags through when different tickets and codeshares

Not sure whether to post here or on the Delta forum...
I'm flying Delta which I booked using a Virgin Atlantic partner award. I need to purchase a pre-connecting flight from Zurich to Amsterdam. Then at the end of the flight I bought a post-connecting ticket on Alaska. Last month I had a similar situation where I flew Lufthansa and had purchased a post-connecting flight on Alaska. When I checked in Lufthansa had no problem checking my bags to the final destination. But I'm wondering about KLM/Delta and if it makes a difference that I booked through Virgin. Should I make sure my first flight is with KLM so they are at least in the same alliance as Delta, in order to have the best chance of getting my bags checked all the way though?

Also, would it make a difference if I used KLM or KLM Citihopper for that first leg? With the KLM flight we would have 1 hour 10 minute connection time, and with the KLM Cityhopper 1 hour 30 minutes which seems safer esp if they don't let us check through.

Thanks

Last edited by qofmiwok; Nov 12, 2018 at 6:15 pm Reason: correction