FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Back-to-back or "nested" ticketing questions, discussion (consolidated)
Old Nov 11, 2018, 7:26 am
RogerD408
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by miadukes
I am not sure if I am explaining this right or how to word it if there is even another thread on here but I have a question for you experts out there.

AA has some fares (and yes they are BE, I don't care just want cheap) that when I price them out, have to be at least 7 days long to get the really cheap fare. My intentions were to then book 2-3 trips but with different dates coming and going so for example:

I would book one trip outbound from US 2/1 return to US 2/18. Then I would book another trip outbound from US 2/15 and return to us 3/10. My last trip would then be booked in reverse Leaving Europe to US on 2/3 and leaving to US back to europe on 3/8.

If you are still with me, would AA allow this? So technically if you match up the dates, you are looking at 3 weekend trips but the trip dates are scattered in order for the really cheap fare pricing to show up, which I would assume based on my searches, requires 7 night stay. My question then becomes, would my flights get cancelled if I were to book this? Would I be able to actually do this? I have the option of booking one trip with Delta, one trip with United and one trip with AA but that would not really yield me anything to progress with my AA status next year so was hoping to do this all on oneworld carriers.

any thought would be appreciated.
Yes, you might get away with it, but it is at the discretion of AA to enforce their rules or not, which this violates. Personally, I would consider the risks involved. There have been reports of chronic offenders having their tickets canceled on the return leaving the passenger away from home and the only choice was to book a walk-up fare to get home, or travel a different airline. Is this acceptable given your risk tolerance?