FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Reflections on a EWR-LAX in C on a 777
View Single Post
Old Nov 10, 2018, 5:44 pm
phkc070408

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by higher_flyer
Same here, 25 years on UA, and I would agree about the hard product evolution, with the major exception of Y. Everything about Y is less comfortable now than before. The "advancement in technology" has brought us seats that are more slim, more narrow, more cramped, and with less cushion and less recline. Even on PS flights, there is a consistent decline in Y hard product, "advanced" or not.
Agreed. When PS was in/out of SFO it was it's own animal with the 3 class planes where Y+ was the lowest you can go. While they didn't happen exactly at the same time, it seams that the changing of the cabin configuration from F/J/Y+ to J/Y+/Y was timed close enough with the relocation to EWR that they COULD have been related. As far as ps goes, I really only consider J to be ps now; Y+ and Y are just another standard route.

Interestingly, I flew EWR-SFO/LAX several times before the reclassification but haven't flown those routes since the rebranding due to changes in family and work situations. It's funny because my final t-con flight was a week before the rebranding. Fortunately I might have the chance to try it next year, and if nothing changes, I'm hoping to grab a J seat on the Polars 77J. Note that I am yet to try the Polaris Seats either due to the same work/family changes that pretty much haunted all of my flying.