FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Seriously, what is the deal with HP elevators?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:51 pm
gpy

Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant
I think it is generally recognized that HP elevators must be built and maintained by Slow Elevators Inc., but have any of you ever had to opportunity to ask or find out why that is the case?

When I asked Thursday, the desk agent just said, "Yeah, lots of people say that, but I don't know why they are slow."

It is not like my life is so crazy that the extra 2 minutes to go 7 floors greatly impacts my day, but I do not understand the rationale for it. I cannot think of any other elevators I regularly encounter that are this slow.

Safety issue? Desire to have people enjoy the HP ambiance as long as possible? Do the gerbils just get tired?
I stayed at a HP in NYC and they upgraded me to the 21st floor which turned out to be terrible luck as the next day I waited 10 minutes for the elevator before finally taking the stairs with my luggage. When I finally got to the ground floor I discovered that the elevators were not only slow but completely out of service. On check out, the front desk agent just smiled and told me they just wanted to make sure we were all safe so they were doing elevator maintenance. On both elevators. At prime check out time.