FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: 2018 AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)
Old Nov 8, 2018, 8:14 pm
TropicalTripper

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, National Exec, Hertz PC, Nexus
Originally Posted by Brooke.E
I order the AVML due to the limited use of dairy products. Being lactose intolerant (small amounts of dairy are ok), this has been a great, flavorful option for lunch and dinner that has met my dietary needs very well. I have very much appreciated that AA has provided this option.

However, I had my first AVML breakfast from LAS-CLT on Sunday and it was terrible. I also don't feel that it met the description in any way - it certainly wasn't the slightest bit spicy and included yogurt (dairy) as one of the main components. My entree was just vegetables that looked and tasted like canned veggies - carrots, broccoli and green beans with no seasoning. My sides were the same as everyone else's breakfast: yogurt and fruit. I was quite hungry so I ate the veggies but they were truly terrible and could not be called an entree. The fruit was good but a very small portion. I couldn't eat the yogurt. I would've expected them to provide an alternative side for the yogurt and was very surprised they did not as my past AVML's have went as far as to provide a butter substitute to limit the dairy use. I was definitely still very hungry after eating my fruit and veggies!​​​​
Raita (yogurt-based) and paneer (cheese) are common food items in Indian vegetarian food, so if you really can't do dairy you're running a bit of a risk ordering AVMLs. My wife has had both paneer and raita as elements of her AVMLs on American. In our experience AVMLs for breakfast are risky on AA and DL. Lunch and dinner are usually safer bets you'll get something that is an Indian veg type meal.