FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread
View Single Post
Old Nov 8, 2018, 3:12 am
binman

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
Thanks for the cross-check

It is addictive isn't it. I have been grabbed by it. If I were to be sensible then I wouldn't do it at all. I don't fly for business and on the few occasions a year when I do fly for personal reasons (holidays, visit family etc) I always fly J whenever I can anyway so I will nearly always have access to lounges, priority check-in/boarding etc without having status so the Silver/Gold card won't actually give me much benefit. Yet I still want the challenge of putting something like this together and then the massive challenge of actually flying it. My wife thinks I am potty and, although she hasn't said so, I am sure that she is a bit cross with me that I am considering spending so much on such a thing when that could pay for a cruise for us both or some similar joint holiday.

As for when to do it... yes, if you are starting out from a low TP standing in the first place and your TP year end is not far off then I would wait until the next TP year. Then the spend becomes better value as you will get Gold for 2 full years then Silver for the third year. Personally I won't get much benefit out of being Gold so I look on it as getting an extra year of Silver for free...!

do the cruise. For £1200 you should be able to get 2 nights queens grill on Cunard for short trip out of Southampton

I did just this last July sailing to Hamburg. Fabulous suite great food and s very relaxing experience. Beat the hell out of a tier point run and I got to take the wife along too, so lots of brownie points. Just not long enough and unfortunately no formal night ....but a terrific prelude to something more adventurous.