FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]
Old Nov 7, 2018, 2:33 pm
BBSHOPSINGER

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
Similar play to game this system. I'm a lowly Silver on UA, but need the extra leg room from E+ and don't want to chance winding up in E- so I usually just buy the E+ "upgrade" (for whatever reason, a subscription isn't reimbursable, but paying each time is... and I'd rather not fight city hall). That generally leaves me with $110-$130 to play with when the buy up is offered. It's typically been $175 or so on my routes, so I wind up with an option to buy up on a ~3 hour flight for a net of $50 after they refund my E+ buy. That's a no brainer in my book and I try not to even drink the booze. If it's any consolation, I've not once gotten my meal choice thanks to you pesky 1Ks! :-D
I am a silver, and have never failed to get an E+ seat, as long as I check in near T-24. Some of these appeared to be full in E+, but seats opened up by the time check-in time came around. Not worth buying.